Graduate Student Orientation

Graduate student orientation is held twice a year: Fall and Spring

Congratulations on your acceptance to Lehigh!  The Graduate Education and Life office is here to assist you with any student life concerns by providing you information, referrals, advice, and consultation. Please take a look at the Graduate Student Resource Book, as well as other material on this website to help you prepare for life in our community.  Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns. 

Graduate Student Orientation - Fall 2024

Picture of graduate ambassadors and Grad Life Office staff


  • Tuesday, 8/20/24: Graduate Student General Orientation
  • Wednesday, 8/21/24: Teaching Assistant Training
  • Friday, 8/23, 2024: Lab Safety Training

Graduate students beginning their first semester in the Fall 2024, are invited to join us for a graduate student general orientation on Tuesday, August 20, 2024, from 9am to 3pm (time subject to change) in the Neville Hall ( 6 E. Packer Avenue), Room 001. A light lunch will be provided. Registration required. See registration button below.

The departments that you will be hearing from at orientation can include: 

  • Graduate Life Office
  • Library & Technology Services
  • Graduate Writers' Studio/Writing Support
  • Center for Career & Professional Development
  • Graduate Student Senate
  • Counseling/Health & Wellness Center
  • Lehigh Police/Campus Safety

In addition to General Orientation, if you are a Teaching Assistant, you will need to complete TA Training. If you'll be working in a lab, you will need to complete Lab Safety Training. See the drop down bars below for more information on both trainings. Registration is required for each date you choose to attend.


Additional Information

Important Requirements:

 COVID vaccines and booster will be required for all Lehigh graduate students participating in on-campus programs and activities. Please click here for the latest updates about requirements. All students accessing campus will be subject to this requirement and must complete their final dose of an approved COVID vaccine at least 14 days prior to their planned return to campus. This requirement does not apply to students participating in programs that are fully online or which never meet on campus. If you have not yet done so, please upload a copy of your COVID vaccination card on the HWC health portal as soon as possible.  If you have any individual questions about your vaccination status or personal health situation, please send the Health and Wellness Center a secure message through the Health Center portal. This is preferable to email and will help facilitate a prompt response. For other questions about accommodations, you can also contact the Disability Support Services office.

Pennsylvania State Law requires that students living in university housing either (1) obtain a meningitis vaccine or (2) fill out a declination form.  You may obtain the vaccine at the Health Center for a fee.  Lehigh's injury and sickness insurance does not cover this fee because the insurance does not cover preventative medicine.  Medically, only college freshman living in dormitories are at an increased risk, so graduate students may feel comfortable choosing to waive the menigococcal vaccine.  If you do not want the vaccine, you may waive it by completing the declination form.  The form is available at the Health and Wellness Center, Johnson Hall.  This law does not apply to students living off-campus.  Please address questions and comments directly to the Helath Center (610-758-3870).

Please make sure to complete all necessary forms regarding health information.  Check out the requirements at or call the Student Health Center at 610-758-3870.

You must go through this training if you will be working in a lab.  You will not be allowed in the lab until the training is complete.  Please see the signup link above for Lab Safety Training.

If you have been awarded a teaching assistant position, your department will require this training.  Teacher assistant training is required for those who have been awarded a teacher assistant position. Please see link above for more information and registration 

New graduate students must establish their Lehigh computing account. More information can be found on your welcome letter 

Your Lehigh ID provides you with access to several important services, such as access to buildings, a GoldPLUS account, athletic facilities and events, bookstore discounts, and library borrowing.  Your ID card identifies you as a member of the Lehigh University Community.  Your Lehigh ID car should be treated with care.  Please do not punch holes in your ID card.  Visit the ID Office to get your ID card.

If you are a TA, you may need to take and pass the TOPSS test or an OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview). Please contact your department Coordinator for more information. International student should check out this website, for information about TOPSS and other testing services.